Automatic Dependent Surveillance–Broadcast (ADS-B) technology is a critical component for the FAA’s Next Generation Air Transportation System program. It moves the entire U.S. air traffic control network from ground-based radar and navigational aids to precise airplane tracking using satellite signals. FAA regulations 14 CFR § 91.225 and 14 CFR § 91.227 passed in May 2010, mandate that aircraft operating in certain airspace must have ADS-B Out equipment installed and operational by January 1, 2020. While the FAA has reaffirmed this compliance date, it has also expressed concern that it does not see a rate of aircraft upgrades consistent with the deadline. Full regulatory compliance is expected from all U.S. air carriers. Is your fleet ready? If you need ADS-B Out solutions, AerSale® has the answer.
What Is ADS-B?
ADS-B Out is a broadcast system that relays aircraft position and other information via satellite. It has several key advantages, enabling pilots and controllers to see the same radar picture. ADS-B does not have the same limitations as radar, provides better surveillance in remote areas of coverage, has consistent accuracy throughout its range, and aircraft positions are updated once per second. Other advantages include:
- Displays other aircraft in the sky, hazardous weather, and terrain
- Provides important flight information, such as temporary flight restrictions
- Reduces the risk of runway incursions with cockpit and controller displays showing aircraft and equipped ground vehicle locations on airport surfaces in all weather conditions
- Enables more efficient, direct flight paths between city pairs, saving time, money, and reducing fuel burn and emissions
- Future applications will give pilots indications or alerts of potential mid-air collisions
- Allows the safe reduction of the minimum separation distance between aircraft, increasing national flight path capacity
- Ground stations are easier to place than radar sites
- It reports horizontal and vertical velocity relative to the Earth, which is useful for air traffic control functions
- It reports barometric and geometric altitude, which provides a way to verify correct pressure altitude reporting from an aircraft
In short, ADS-B is an FAA-mandated, environmentally friendly technology that enhances safety and efficiency, and directly benefits pilots, air traffic controllers, airports, airlines, and the flying public.
Out, Up, and Away with AerTrak
If you need to bring your fleet into compliance, AerSale can help. AerTrak is a proprietary ADS-B Out system developed by AerSale and approved by the FAA for use in Boeing 737 NG series aircraft to comply with the ADS-B mandate. In the coming months, AerTrak will also be expanded to cover additional aircraft types. The AerTrak ADS-B Out system brings several advantages for your fleet:
- AerTrak can be used by any operator of Boeing 737 NG aircraft fitted with any OEM transponder/multi-mission radar (MMR) combination
- It integrates seamlessly with most existing avionics and cockpit controls
- AerTrak provides an easy path to ADS-B Out compliance with minimal installation time
AerTrak kits include all necessary parts and can be installed by AerSale’s technicians at any hangar around the world, and typically require only three days to install and one day of testing. Lead time for ordering AerTrak is currently four weeks. Ordering AerTrak now allows operators to avoid potential installation facility backlogs, component shortages, and price premiums as the 2020 compliance deadline nears. Non-compliance means the potential grounding of your aircraft. Don’t lose revenue or route capabilities – order AerTrak for your fleet today.
Get ADS-B Compliant with AerSale
The ADS-B system is the future of air traffic control and aircraft monitoring not only in the U.S., but also across Europe and most of Asia. In the long term, it will promote safer, more direct routes between city pairs and open more useable airspace. At AerSale, keeping your fleet compliant and airworthy is not just our job, it’s our passion. We are much more than just a supplier with airplane parts for sale. We are involved in almost every aspect of the aviation aftermarket industry and are guided by a leadership team with extensive experience and deep expertise – all working for you.
As a global aviation leader, AerSale supplies systems like AerTrak, aftermarket commercial aircraft, engines, and OEM used serviceable materials to passenger and cargo airlines, leasing organizations, government entities, multinational OEMs, and independent MROs. The company offers flexible leases and finance options for a wide range of the most popular aftermarket aircraft and engines, offers asset management services to owners of end-of-life aircraft and engine portfolios, and maintains one of the world’s most comprehensive inventories of aircraft and engine components. Headquartered in Coral Gables, Florida, AerSale maintains offices and operations in the United States, Europe, and Asia. For more information on how AerSale can keep your aviation assets working for your profitability from first flight to final flight, visit www.aersale.com.